Monday, May 23, 2011

Retro Re-do

After my recent post, I believe that you should now know that I paint everything!! I think painting furniture and any other item that needs a little TLC can benefit from it.

This past weekend I went to a yard sale and picked up this 50-60's style piece of furniture.

A few nicks and dings on the sides....a minor (easily fixed) wobbly leg..
Hardware is in good shape..might keep them as original.

I know, I know..your thinking...why is she painting this piece? it looks like its in near perfect condition.
Well yes, it is in very good condition, and yes, it is technically an antique....but it will look so gooood painted and give it a more up-do-date look, and it will go with my decor more so than the current way it is finished now.

I plan to give it a popular color that comes from that era...can you think of what color that might be?

I ALREADY knew what color I was going to paint it when I first saw it..but then I found this (1960's) color scheme chart that CONFIRMED my decision. I use an enamel based paint (very secretive ;) but I will give the secret to those who are interested! It dries to a very hard coating, and is almost like car paint or an enamel finish. It isn't for the light hearted, or the timid when painting furniture, because if you mess up-you mess up! ;) So proceed with caution.

 Below are the color charts I mentioned above.

{source}

I'll post the before and after here soon!!

2 comments:

Margaret@MissAdventures of Susie Homemaker said...

I'm so excited to see the re-do!

johnpark97 said...

hi

where do you get thoese colours

on the 1960's chart?

they are amazing!!