Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My green THUMB!

If you remember back when I posted this, then you will remember how much I wanted to get my garden started.  Well, my wedding anniversary was coming up and that's one thing I asked for!...can you believe it?  Yes, as an anniversary gift, I asked for a vegetable garden...my how things have changed as I have gotten older. I remember as a kid when holidays or birthdays rolled around how I would ask for things a lot more expensive, and needless to say useless other than for materialistic reasons.

Now as an adult, I love the presents and gifts that I can enjoy for a long time to come, and that I can enjoy with some one during the entire process.

My husband took me to get all my goodies the weekend of our anniversary, and boy did I rack up! If you think that a garden is an inexpensive gift, your wrong! Its a pricey item, but one that pays off in the end from being able to not really have to purchase any vegetables from the grocery store for the entire summer season through the fall.

If you remember I wanted a "raised" looking vegetable garden. After looking online and researching a little more, these are more permanent places to garden, and don't necessarily do well with all vegetation.

So I decided to use landscaping timbers to get the same effect, at a lower cost. And in the years to come I can move my garden around to any location in our yard because its not a true "raised" planting bed.


{landscape timbers}

The garden still has some filling in and filling out to do, but we are looking at having a great supply of vegetables to be able to eat, pickle and can as well! I'm excited about that because I loooooooovvveee home-made pickles! and having fresh tomatoes for sauces!




 

And because I cant have tomatoes without basil, I have my herbs planted in pots.
(they do much better in pots than in the the ground in my opinion)



And last but not least as a little extra...Keith and I has set up a Scupernog vine!


No comments: